By Ibrahim Maizare
As we have today found ourselves in the midst of unprecedented covid-19 serious challenge, and we are not yet at the peak of this pandemic, when the sad and unfortunate news about rape flood our timelines on social media, blogs and on the newspapers on daily basis.
As we all known, rape is an unlawful sexual activity and usually sexual intercourse carried out forcibly or under threat of injury against a person’s will or with a person who is beneath a certain age or incapable of valid consent because of mental illness, mental deficiency, intoxication, unconsciousness, or deception. (Merriam-Webster)
For these reasons, there must be an intense public enlightenment about sexual assault, and mothers, fathers, aunties, uncles and brothers, should teach the girls how to prevent themselves.
In joining the world to say no to Rape, ZamfaraYouthMustSurvive has today, embarks on a campaign in Gusau, the capital city of Zamfara state, where we discussed some of the preventive and correctional measures to curb this barbaric act, as thus;
1. Sexual abuse is a criminal offence, the quicker we realize that we are living in a rotten society, the better for our girls. We must teach our girls how to live in a society like this.
2. Teach our girls to dress decently. Naked dresses should be avoided by mothers, sisters aunties, maids, mentors and our daughters.
3. Teach our girls to fear the night because that’s when most predators lurk around and wait for the victims.
4. Teach our girls what is inappropriate behavior so that they know when someone is touching them wrongly.
5. Seriously teach our girls some defence mechanisms that have helped several girls.
6. Sex education is very important for our girls, teach your little girls not to be trusting around men of any nature.
7. Don’t be careless and trusting for as we speak some mothers are still stitching the wounds of their little girls.
8. Don’t be that women who hides such disgusting acts under a carpet to save your marriage or family, think about that broken girl child.
9. As a man, don’t be that man who undresses in front of a 10 year old girl and without shame commit the act.
10. Don’t be that neighbor who knows that abuse is happening in a particular house and you close your ears to the cries of a girl child.
11. Don’t be that Police Officer who takes bribe and allow the perpetrators of child sexual abuse to walk away free.
12. Rape may look simple until your own little girl is affected. Be vigilant and don’t make your child one of the 2020 statistics.
Let’s show our concern,
ONLY IF YOU CARE.
Ibrahm Yau Maizare
8th July, 2020